Saturday

April 30, 2011

I'm sorry for not keeping up with anyone's blogs!!! I can't wait to go through and read the posts I've missed in the past few weeks. One of those moods, I guess :)

Sometimes my life is so epic I can't even stand it. Exhibit A:

Last night, Elizabeth invites me to this country music festival thing. Her friend from college was coming into town and invited her to go. I was really looking forward to spending some time at home, but I decided I was being lame and agreed to accompany her. Because who doesn't love a little live country music? RIGHT?

So. Her friend tells us it's a little west of Fort Worth (about 45 minutes away). And we could bring our own beer and that we would have a place to stay if we drank too much or if we were too tired to drive back afterward. And it would cost $26 to get in. All fine. Great ideas.

So it wasn't actually a "little west of Fort Worth." It was actually in Stephenville, TX. Almost 2 hours away out in the freaking boonies. And by "place to stay" meant bring your tent... because they are camping on the concert grounds.

We didn't know what to expect at this point. We didn't really know how far it was, but E had a map pulled up on her iPhone, which then died as soon as we made it to the town. We stopped at a gas station to ask how to get to this ranch where the concerts were, and continued on while trying to get a hold of her friends on my phone.

We pulled into this ranch land by dirt road, where hundreds of people had parked their RVs and set up tents, beer cans strewn everywhere. We can't get a hold of her friends, so we pull up to figure out where to park. The parking attendants inform us that we can't park with E's friends because only 1 car is allowed per campsite. If we want our own campsite it would cost $44 to park. Otherwise, we could go down the street to park for $15.

Not cool.

So then they inform us that we can't buy just a 1 day pass (like the website said we could) for $26. We would have to buy a 2 day pass for $40. At this point, it was around 10 pm, and we only wanted to stay that night. E and I were like uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh NO. Finally her friend answered his phone and came and found us at the gate. He found a simple solution to the problem:

We snuck in through the barbed wire fence into the camping area while he parked the car somewhere since he already had a weekend pass. So yeah. Elizabeth and I, carrying her friend's 24 pack of warm beer (our nicely chilled beer was left in the car), climbed through the barbed wire fence and wandered around until we found the stage. This isn't like... campground in the forest scene. It's a huge plot of land with REDNECKS everywhere. Tents and trucks and beer and bbq pits. And overalls. And jorts.

We ended up having a really fun time listening to music and eating corn dogs. It was soooooooooo windy and we were covered in dirt and beer, but we didn't mind after a little while. Since it took us all day to get there, we decided to pitch E's tent and drive back in the morning.

That's the basic gist of last night. We were REALLY iffy about it, but it ended up being a really epic adventure :)

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha, oh Emily. You and your shenanigans. :)

    Also, I admire your bravery in that situation! I guess I'm too much of a goody two-shoes. I don't know that I could have snuck in like that! ...then again, after driving that far and all, maybe I would have. :)

    (PS - just so you know my blog address has changed! So if you go looking for Make Me a Tree it won't be there!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bahaha this makes me laugh. I am having a great time picturing rednecks camping. :)

    HEY I'm going to be in your city in two weeks. !!!

    ReplyDelete