Monday

August 23, 2010

Today during lunch, Asha told me about a hilarious conversation she had with her 4 year old daughter. Background: Asha is preggo and she found out on Friday that she is going to be having a boy!!!! Yay! Her daughter, however, was REALLY hoping for a sister.

Me: How did your daughter take the news?
Asha: She said the strangest things. She said, "How about you and I both become witches, and then we can make a potion, and you can drink it to turn the boy into a girl!" And then we went to our friend's house this weekend with a newborn girl and she says, "How about when the boy is born, we can come back over and we can switch it for the girl!"
Asha: It's all those Disney movies about princesses and evil stepmothers and witches in her head!

Also today, after work I wanted to try this class called Nia Dance at the Y downtown. There was no parking, and as I pulled back out into the street to loop around, I didn't realize it was a one way... in the direction I didn't want to go. And just like any downtown in a huge metroplex, things are way too complex and weird for anyone's good. So naturally I think I know where I'm going.... and then get lost. BUT I ended up in this REALLY cool part of downtown (Field, Ervay, St. Paul ish area), and the shadows from the high rises made it look very hidden and awesome. I felt like I was exploring a long forgotten part of town. I'll have to go back there when I actually mean to get there.

So the description of Nia Dance on the group exercise handout says: "Nia combines movements from the dance arts (Jazz, modern dance, latin), and the martial arts (tai chi, tae kwon do, aikido), and the healing arts (yoga) into one fantastic cardio dance fitness class.

Cardio dance fitness?! PERFECT.

NOT. This is seriously the most hilarious thing I have ever done. What the class consisted of was a few mom aged women and one dad looking guy and the crazy hippie instructor, and for probably about 30 minutes of the hour, we were told to free dance around the room, totally interpretive style. Like literally running around, skipping, waving your arms, leaping, swooping, etc. AND EVERYONE WAS SO SERIOUS. And I felt completely awkward and silly. I had to turn to the back wall a few times and just laugh silently, and then go back to prancing around. At one point we had to pretend we had an Arabian scarf and we had to dance around with it. HAHAHAHA. Catch phrases used by the instructor: "Breath like an accordion" and "embryonic movements." It was pretty silly. The dad guy came up to me afterwards and he told me I was a natural. Thanks, man.

Finally saw the bed intruder song.

1 comment:

  1. Hahahahahha oh man, the part about the dance class made me laugh so hard.

    ReplyDelete